Winning a race or having a fascinating experience on the motocross tracks demand a high-performance dirt bike with solid features – the 2022 Yamaha YZ85 is quite promising. It comes with an advanced 85cc two-stroke engine that unleashes enough power to conquer the road in the motocross world.
More than that, it features improved rider ergonomics such as a flatter seat, narrow tank design, slimmer side covers, and symmetrically sized radiator shrouds. These features give the rider much movement freedom, a smooth body weight shift, and excellent machine control.
In general, the 2022 Yamaha YZ85 comes with perfectly tailored race-bred features that might blend in with your kid’s riding needs.
You can read the 2021 Yamaha YZ85 guide here.
2022 Yamaha YZ85 Specs
- Two-stroke 85cc engine; liquid-cooled and reed-valve inducted.
- Single-cylinder engine with a compression ratio of 8.2 ~ 9.6: 1
- Fuel delivery: Hitachi Astemo Keihin PWK28 carburettor
- Fuel capacity: 4.92litress
- Multiplate wet clutch
- Trail: 8.89cm
- 6-speed gearbox
- Bore × Stroke: 4.75 cm ×4.78 cm
- Seat height: 84.074cm
- ready-to-ride weight: 73.028 kg (including the weight of coolant, oil, fuel, and hydraulic fluids)
- Ground clearance: 32cm
- Length × Width × Height: 182.12 cm × 75.95 cm × 113.54 cm
- Wheelbase: 125.476cm
- Caster angle (Rake): 26.3°
- Final drive: Chain
- Front brakes: Hydraulic disc, 22cm
- Rear brakes: Hydraulic disc, 19 cm
- Front suspension: Adjustable inverted fork (27.43 cm travel)
- Rear Suspension: Adjustable single shock (28.19 cm travel)
- Adjustable handlebars (four positions)
- Front tire: Dunlop Geomax MX3SF and has a blue rim with a diameter of 43.18 cm
- Rear tire: Dunlop Geomax MX3S has a blue rim with a diameter of 35.56cm
- Warranty: 30 Day (limited factory warranty)
- Ignition/Starter: kick
Features of the 2022 YZ 85
- The two-stroke 85cc engine comes with the Yamaha Power Valve System that boosts power across all the RPM ranges (low and mid-range), enhancing rideability and eliminates frequent shifting of the rider.
- The engine features an efficient reed valve that regulates fresh gas intake in the crankcase and combustion chamber. And as a result, it fastens the reloading of the combustion chamber with the fuel-air mixture and boosts the engine’s power output. More power translates to better machine performance.
- The 2022 Yamaha YZ85 features a fine-tuned exhaust expansion chamber that perfectly blends with the YPVS-equipped engine. The exhaust expansion chamber leverages the pressure and momentum of the exhaust gases to squeeze more fuel-air mixture into the engine cylinders during the intake stroke. This gives the engine extra power, especially in the low and mid-rpm range, for better machine performance.
- The bike’s transmission features oversized gears that offer advanced engagement and smoother shifts. This makes the bike more agile, responsive, and better to ride. More than that, the 6-speed gearbox gives racers the right gear to tame different motocross terrains while maintaining the right speed. On top of that, the 2022 YZ85 model has a slightly larger clutch shaft diameter than the previous versions (from 1.2 cm to 1.4 cm) for less slippage and better holding power for the rider.
- It features a perfectly sized airbox with efficient air filters to supply the engine with enough clean air when operating at full power. The airbox design allows the excellent performance of the air filter and easy maintenance.
- The Dunlop Geomax MX3S front and rear tires are designed for various surfaces, including soft-to-intermediate terrain. This way, the tires offer a firm grip with the ground for efficient braking over different road conditions.
- The big hydraulic braking discs (front: 22 cm, rear 19 cm) provide precise control and one finger-stopping power. This is super-efficient in critical moments like high and low-speed maneuvering, cornering, or braking in general. Note that the rear braking system features a master cylinder with a built-in sub-reservoir for more linear braking
- In general, the wave-style brake discs (front and rear) facilitate cooler-running performance and self-cleaning, which is to say, no worrying about brakes getting too hot to the extent of losing their ability to slow down the motorbike.
- The lightweight 43.18 cm front and 35.56 cm rear rims keep the wheels light to reduce unsprung weight(the weight of everything below the suspension) for top performance of the motorbike’s suspension. The thing is, keeping the unsprung weight lower reduces inertia and yields optimal performance of the suspension and a smooth ride.
- While the lightweight rims improve suspension performance, their stylish blue colour contributes to the general eye-catching aesthetics of the 2022 Yamaha YZ85. Even better, the rims are durable, eliminating the need for frequent replacements after a wild off-road competition due to bends.
- The lightweight front suspension (3.6 cm KYB inverted cartridge fork with low-friction outer tubes, adjustable rebound damping, and external compression) and a fully adjustable KYB rear shock offer maximum suspension. Therefore, the rider can tame the rough motocross tracks and conquer the off-road competition with less or no fear.
- The 2022 Yamaha YZ85 features a high-capacity aluminium radiator(lightweight) with large louvre sand cores, resulting in more coolant volume. The more the volume, the more coolant exposure to the heat exchange process for optimum engine cooling.
- Even better, the aluminium material making up the radiator is stronger and can take more pressure and heat. This further boosts the cooling process. Meaning, young riders can worry less about the engine overheating quickly during races.
- The bike features a refined chassis or framework to boost the general performance. For instance, the rear subframe is crafted from aluminium, a high-strength and lightweight material that helps maintain a lighter bike for easier handling and better performance. Also, the rear subframe is easily removable to streamline machine maintenance.
- More than that, the rear axles and swingarm are redesigned to strike a balance between torsional and longitudinal rigidity and take handling stability to the next level.
- The bike comes with a four-position adjustable handlebar (taper-style), giving riders several options to choose from depending on their preferences.
2022 YZ85 Pros and Cons
Images sourced from Yamaha.