Future champions have always looked at YZ85 as the mini race bike of choice. The high-performance two-stroke engine, top-shelf suspension, and fun, light, and elegant structure make Yamaha YZ85LW (Large Wheel) a powerful ride with big-bike specs.
Strength and rigidity have been optimized by improvements on the rear wheel axle, swingarm, and mainframe. Like other bikes in the YZ series, YZ85LW’s styling provides stability and agility when handling. Is the YZ85LW a game-changer in the racing industry? Here is a cross-examination of the bike and what it brings.
You can read our 2021 YZ 85LW review/specs/guide here.
Specifications (YZ 85 LW Specs)
- 2-stroke, liquid-cooled, reed-valve inducted engine
- Displacement: 85cc
- Transmission: constant-mesh, 6-speed transmission
- Bore and Stroke: 4.75 cm x 4.78 cm
- Compression ratio: 8.2 – 9.6:1
- Multi wet clutch, 6-speed transmission system
- Chain drive (final drive)
- Starter/ignition: kick/Digital Capacitor Discharge Ignition (CDI) system
- Inverted fork: 10.8-in travel, fully adjustable front suspension
- Single shock: 11.3-in travel, single-shock rear suspension.
- Front brakes: 220mm hydraulic disc/ twin-piston caliper
- Rear brakes: 190mm hydraulic disc/ single-piston caliper
- Geomax MX3SF 70/100-19 Dunlop front tires
- Geomax MX3S 90/100-16 Dunlop rear tires
- Removable lightweight aluminum rear subframe
- 16 inches (rear) and 19 inches (front) blue rims with Dunlop MX3S tires
- Trail: 99.06 cm
- Maximum ground clearance: 36.068 cm (the maximum distance between the base frame and the ground)
- Fuel capacity: 4.92 liters or 1.3 gallons
- Wet weight: 74.84 kilograms
- Rake: 26 degrees
- Seat height: 88.39 cm
- Wheelbase: 128.52 cm
- General dimensions, L x W x H: 189.48 cm x 75.95 cm x 117.60 cm
- 30-day warranty (limited factory warranty)
- Yamaha blue (bodywork)
Yamaha YZ85LW Features
- The vast, powerful disc front and rear brakes provide accurate control and precise, one-finger stopping strength.
- The high-capacity radiators are lightweight with large cores for maximum efficiency. The new blacked-out louvers give the bike an impressive, high-pressure look.
- The improved 85cc, two-stroke engine comes with a Yamaha Power Valve System (YPVS) that promotes power delivery and boosts engine output. Additionally, the 2022 Yamaha YZ85LW features a close transmission gearbox that optimizes engine performance. Consequently, the 6-speed gearbox is exciting future champions with the right gears for unique racing conditions.
- Features a four-position handlebar that suits rider preferences. The lightweight handlebar is lighter than the previous model by 40g. The positions of the four handlebars allow for personalization depending on an individual’s preferences.
- The removable aluminum rear subframe is lighter than the previous double steel frame by 570g. It is convenient during maintenance and helps reduce bike weight. Reduced weight in a bike reduces inertia, which increases acceleration and agility when coming out of turns or starting a race.
- The bike has a digital CDI system for efficient ignition. The system discharges a powerful spark in the combustion chamber where air and fuel mix. So, starting the engine is super easy.
- Features a compact steel frame that helps in bump absorption across rugged terrain or in jump landings. With well-treaded tires, the experience is even better.
- The transmission features a high-capacity lightweight radiator with blacked-out lovers for aggressive looks and large cores for enhanced efficiency. Also, the radiator is compact enough for efficient engine cooling, especially in harsh racing conditions. So the engine won’t overheat, improving thermal engine efficiency.
- The rear brake master cylinder in the bike has an in-built sub-reservoir that provides a more linear brake response and enhanced control. Also features light dual wave-type brake rotors. The wave-style rotors featured in the YZ85LW are similar to those found in other members of the YZ series but lighter than conventional rotors.
- Features slimmer and flat seats, symmetrical shrouds, and a narrower tank that improves rider ergonomics (greater freedom of movement).
- The bike has a well-designed carburetor and efficient reed-valve induction, which improve acceleration and throttle response, enhancing the bike’s ability to pick up speed and accelerate quickly.
- The bike features oversized gears for smoother shifts and enhanced engagement. The transmission features a smooth multi-plate wet clutch that is durable, runs cooler, and is quieter.
- Features durable and stylish blue lightweight rims that reduce unsprung weight. They are wrapped in high-performance Dunlop MX3S tires. Also, the tires feature high treads for firm grip across all road conditions. This is an improvement in the braking system and wet traction.
- The transmission features a six-port cylinder layout and a center ribbed exhaust port. More ports enhance air-sucking into the engine hence more fuel flow to the radiator.
- Adjustable front and rear suspensions provide stability when handling the bike, especially on rough grounds. Also, it has long padded seats and a high-grip footrest that guarantees you a comfy ride.
- Has a longer swingarm which accommodates the giant rear wheel increasing handling stability. Consequently, the aluminum swingarm has been redesigned to improve the balance between torsional and longitudinal rigidity, enhancing resilience.
- Accessories for the 2022 Yamaha YZ85LW include seat covers for improved comfort while riding, graphics similar to stickers for enhanced outlook, and water-proof vehicle covers.
- The 2022 Yamaha YZ85LW protective gear includes shoes or boots, full face or open face helmets, jackets, gloves, eyewear (goggles), and jerseys.
Pros and Cons of the Yamaha YZ85LW
Images sourced from Yamaha Motorcycles.